Saturday, October 29, 2011

The original Grub Box lives on in Google...for now.


The Grub Box as it appears here is featured and described several times in my dark fantasy/horror in progress, Pony Rides the Sunbeam. This photo must have been taken around '08 before the little burger hop was torn down, and the business was moved behind the Rice King and a little to the west. My little bro., Mike was kind enough to send it to me--the poor guy gets a little nostalgic, having moved to the parched planes of Texas. I do admit, it sucks having no grub box there.

I took this photo less than a year later when this great old landmark was being torn down to expand the parking lot. I pity the poor soul who doesn't remember standing on that cement slab in the blazing sun or under the cool, bug-swarmed fluorescent lights on a warm summer night or in the freezing dead of winter to satisfy a craving for something on the surprisingly large menu--perhaps a Grub burger, onion rings, and a shake.

Where the Rice King and the police station now stand, there used to be tall elm trees and picnic tables. Many a Cyprus high school student had come down to enjoy the shade, a pastrami burger, and the good company of friends. Like the Arctic Circle on 8400 West or the unforgettable Taco Time next to the old Reed home on the corner of Main Street and across the road from the old 7-eleven, it wasn't uncommon to see friends working there--and maybe to score a free ice cream or Coke.
Though I remissness in the past tense, it's for the landmark and not for the restaurant itself. The grub box still thrives about a hundred yards to the southwest of where it once stood. The food's still great.
Another note about Magna nostalgia is if you travel directly to the south, as the crow flies, over house tops, over Brockbank jr. high, then take a slight turn east at 3100 South, you'll land on Ken's Sandwich shop. It's still there, but run by different management today. Thirty plus years ago we would leave swimming lessons at the Cyprus pool, and on our way home, stop at Ken's for a sandwich so thick in meat we could hardly finish it. His tables, especially the one closest to the door, were covered in graffiti, scratched with thousands of names and mysterious messages left behind by generations of kids who'd enjoyed friendly moments over a bag of Funyuns, a Dr. Pepper, and a Turkey Sandwich with everything on it. I particularly remember the epic: "Michelle is a fox!" Who was Michelle, and why was she a fox?
In my novel-in-progress, Pony Rides the Sunbeam (Update: since this was originally posted, I have changed the name of the novel to In Older Worlds), a group of people flee a Manson-like commune back in '69. Something dark follows them and takes an interest in their children. Forward to '84, and you have a group of teenagers running around Magna and the west side of the Salt Lake valley, experiencing strange things, and discovering something special about their lives.

16 comments:

  1. I consider this to be information of quality and it appears to be written so as to make the reader think. I like your writing style and appreciate your efforts. Custom Burger Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informative Site… Hello guys here are some links that contains information that you may find useful yourselves.
    burger boxes
    custom burger boxes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankx for sharing this article. Its really informative article. I really enjoy your site I am waiting for new article.cart packaging

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from California when I was a kid my Mom married somebody from Magna and she moved there. I lived with my dad but would visit in summers and Christmas for the several years she lived there. I remember enjoying going to The Grub Box. It was the only redeeming quality of that dump of a town. The other thing I remember most is that the water out of the tap would come out brown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info.
    Burger Boxes
    Custom Burger Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,I saw your Post you are doing such A great work.Here i am telling you about my buiness.The business is we provide best custom boxes at cheap rate. I have Offered for all of you Custom Burger Boxes.We are offering incredibly designed Custom Burger Boxes with free shipping services. We give wholesale discounts on these amazing sturdy boxes perfect for shipments and order Custom Boxes USA from all over the world.
    Bakery Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your post you are doing such a great work.I like it.Now i am telling you about my business.We are offered for all of you Custom Burger Boxes with free shipping.We offer various box styles and material options for burger packaging.Our Cardboard Burger Boxes are matchless in terms of durability and protection. They are best for takeaway and delivery purposes.So go and order.
    Custom Coffee Packaging
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Burger Boxes Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that informational articles should be more like yours. By that I mean they should have character. Your article had character and is persuasive. Your views are very interesting. Custom Burger Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharing a mutual wealth of knowledge, passion and drive for professionalism and workmanship, Scott Osborne (Builders Terminal) & Tom Richardson (Richway Lofts) have come together to form a loft conversion company for the Builders South East London and surrounding areas.Plumbers in South East London

    ReplyDelete
  12. “Holes” by Sara Jean Alexander, “Little Children Riding Dogs” by Mark Leidner, “Palindrome” by Nate Marshall,question hub “C.R.E.A.M.” by Danez Smith, or “And …

    ReplyDelete
  13. ✨ Unveil the Beauty Within ✨ Our kraft paper boxes are more than just packaging – they're a promise of radiant days ahead! 🌈 Nourish your skin with the goodness it craves. Ready to unbox the secret to a glowing complexion? #SerumLove #SkincareRevolution #HealthyGlow

    ReplyDelete